Thank You For Volunteering Your Time
To Rebuild Guana Cay
With all things Hurricane, things change on a daily basis. I would check back as you get closer to your visit for an update. Here are a few details for Great Guana Cay volunteers:
- Make sure you have a valid passport
- Make certain you have had a tenuous shot within the last five years.
- Flights can be booked directly into Marsh Harbor or Scotland Cay on Makers Air.AIRLINES
- Bahamasair is making regular flights to and from Marsh Harbour and Treasure Cay several times per week. They’re also offering flights from West Palm Beach to Marsh Harbour.
- Silver Airways offers multiple flights per week between Fort Lauderdale and Marsh Harbour.
- Cherokee Air is offering flights between Abaco and Florida. Starting in February, they will offer flights between North Eleuthera and Marsh Harbour on Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Visit their Facebook page for the latest flights and information.
- Air Unlimited is offering scheduled flights from Orlando Sanford Airport into both Marsh Harbour and Treasure Cay. Book online or call (407) 585-4300 for more information.
- Makers Air, based at Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport, flies twice weekly (Wednesday and Saturday) direct into Marsh Harbour with continuing service to Scotland Cay. Email email@example.com or call (954) 771-0330 for more information. Private charter services also available.
- Western Air offers regularly scheduled flights between Nassau and Marsh Harbour.
- AirGate Aviation offers charter flights between Florida to Abaco.
- Island Wings offers charter flights and freight services between Florida and Abaco.
- Island Tyme offers charter flights and freight services between Florida and Abaco.
- Ferry Service is available: Leaving Marsh Harbour at The Crossings to Guana Cay /Bakers Bay/Guana Cay to Marsh Harbour.
5. Transportation in the form of a Golf cart for you to get around the cay is a great way to view the island and bring commerce as well you can rent a golf cart by the day or week contact info: Tanya www.donnasands.com takes credit cards or Troy www.diveguana.com accepts cash only
6. Meals: We will provide you with three meals at the Command Center. Our current kitchen hours are 6:30 am to 8 am for breakfast, lunch is noon to 1pm and dinner is from 5:30 to 6:30.
7. There’s a small grocery store on Great Guana Cay and a larger one in Maxwell’s in Marsh Harbour 30 min boat ride. Both except credit cards.
8. The Volunteer Village has a large bunk room that sleeps 12 people comfortably. There are pods that can sleep an additional sixteen in bunk beds. Eight hot showers and eight bathrooms. An outdoor lounge area with BBQ, microwave, refrigerator, TV and internet access.
9. As of January: There are two Restaurants that recently open. 1 – Mama kitchen with lunch served a limited daily menu. 2 – Clyde restaurant in Orchid Bay marina lunch and Dinner Thursday-Sunday. In July ( or sooner) we anticipate having 4 restaurants open including Nipper, Grabbers, Mama’s and Clyde’s.
10. When you arrive on the cay, you would have already made arrangements for a golf cart. Don’t forget your safety gear, and make a name tag. You will report to the command center to check-in and get the latest updates on the cay. You’ll then gather for a brief safety talk from the site supervisor and an explanation of the tasks you’ll be doing volunteering for.
11. Housing, if you prefer to rent a private home, we currently have 3 three houses available
Two bedrooms with one bathroom for $200 per night
Two bedrooms with two bathrooms for $300.00 per night
Three bedrooms with two bathrooms for $400 per night
Note these are private homes, and all are on generator power, generator gas not included. If interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org At this time we are praying for power in March.
12. What if I have no construction experience?
“Don’t worry about it,” there’s plenty of work to do from kitchen work to clean up at the site. We have Lead Volunteers onsite who are prepared to answer questions and make sure volunteers have all the resources necessary to complete their tasks.
13. What should I bring to the building site?
- Sturdy, closed-toe shoes required
- Water bottle
- Work gloves
- Sunscreen + bug spray
Be sure to dress appropriately for the weather and wear layers that can get dirty.
14. We have Volunteer’s that stay 2 months and longer depending on needs and skill sets needed. We also have volunteers that come for two weeks and decide to stay much longer. That being said there is no hard and fast rule for the amount of time you can volunteer.
15. Sunday – Church is at 10 a.m. at Flip Flops followed by a potluck lunch.
16. Are credit cards accepted anywhere on the island (restaurants, grocery store, gas, etc)? Yes, all of them with the exception of Mama’s and Dive Guana Golf Carts
17. Do you know if there are plenty of taxi’s available at Marsh Harbor airport? Yes there is.
Thank you to all our volunteers! This really wouldn’t be possible without you.[/vc_column]